These Walnut Apple muffins don’t have added fat in the recipe but you would never tell. Applesauce in the mix keeps them moist and flavourful.
I have to admit that I’m not usually a big fan of no added fat baking in general. At times though, everybody is looking to cut back on calories and fat, so a delicious healthier option muffin recipe option is often appreciated.
I have a couple of good low fat muffin recipes but this is the first time I’ve tried to go totally no fat added. I absolutely did n0t regret the experiment.
These muffins get their moisture from unsweetened applesauce. With added chunks of apple steaming inside as they bake, a little more moisture is imparted to the muffin from them as well.
As I always say with low fat or no fat added muffins, these are not meant to be baked well in advance. Being oil free, these muffins will have a shorter shelf life.
They are intended to be baked and eaten while still warm out of the oven at their freshest and best. Of course, you can always freeze any leftovers to enjoy later.
The cinnamon and nutmeg add a fragrant spice touch which smells terrific as they bake. Toasted walnuts add a tasty, crunchy textural contrast as well.
Overall, I really enjoyed these wholesome and healthy muffins and I will definitely be making these again.
Love a great muffin recipe? We’ve put together a collection of our Top 25 Fan Favourite Muffin Recipes. You may be surprised to see which delicious, wholesome muffin hit the #1 spot!
Originally published April 2012. Updated April 2020.
Like this Walnut Apple Muffins recipe?
You’ll find many more delicious recipes like this in out Muffins and Scones Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
No Added Fat Walnut Apple Muffins. Sweet apple, spices and crunchy toasted walnut pieces ensure that the fat in these muffins will not be missed at all.
- 2 cups flour, you can use whole wheat or a combination of both
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup chopped apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place paper muffin liners in the muffin tins.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract until foamy.
- Stir in the applesauce, toasted walnuts and chopped apple.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients by hand. Be very careful not to overmix this batter or your muffins will be quite tough when baked.
- When the flour is just fully incorporated stop folding and spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. You can garnish the tops with apple slices and walnuts if you like.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Serving Size1 About one dozen muffins
Amount Per Serving Calories 199Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 47mgSodium 196mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 13gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.